Creative Writing & Author Coaching
by award-winning author Russel Brownlee
Personal coaching support from first ideas to printed book
It’s easy to write when the inspiration strikes, but what happens when the fire dies down and you’re only 20 pages into what you thought was going to be a 200 page novel? Experienced writers know that inspiration is fleeting and that to really finish a book or even write a few short stories or blog posts you need to go deeper into your resources of motivation and commitment. That’s why you need the support of a writing coach.
- clear vision for your life and your creative work
- greater commitment to your writing goals
- objective feedback on your text, together with loads of encouragement
- technical assistance on plotting, characterisation, pacing and expression
- accountability and manageable deadlines
Writing is an art – so it’s ultimately about you and your growth as a creative being. To create a work of art you must first create the self who is capable of producing the work. That is the essence of creativity coaching. If this idea inspires you, let’s get coaching.
One-on-one coaching programmes for writers and authors
The basis of this coaching is regular one-hour in-person or Skype calls at an interval of your choosing, usually once every 2 – 4 weeks. This will usually also include my reading and commenting on text you send me before the session.
Script Assessment & FeedbackPer word
- Get feedback on a completed or partial manuscript
- Written report on strengths and weaknesses
- 60-minute live coaching/feedback session
- Recommendations for publishing, editing or reworking
- Ideal for authors wanting feedback before embarking on further coaching or writing
Starter Package3 Sessions
- 3 in-person/Skype sessions of 70 minutes each
- Reading and commenting on up to 10 pages (3 000 words) before live session
- Email support between sessions (one email query per week, including short samples of text for quick feedback)
- All sessions to be concluded within 3 months (keeping you focused on your goals)
Ongoing intensivePer month
- 2 in-person meetings or Skype calls per month
- Read and comment on up to 6 000 words per month
- Weekly email support for quick questions and feedback
- Ideal for authors wanting to make rapid progress and finish a book within a year
Your writing coach
As a writer and creativity coach I’ve learnt the hard way that we can’t master the game of life by going it alone. Anybody pursuing an art or some other crazy and wonderful ambition simply has to enlist the support and mentoring of others. Ultimately, the work of art is not the writing – it is the self that creates the writing.
Winner of the Olive Schreiner award for debut fiction (2006)
Shortlisted for the SA Sunday Times Literary Awards (2006)
Creative Writing Masters with Distinction